Even if you sit a desk most of the day for work, there are ways that you can make sure you get in some desk mobility flow motions at least once an hour. In fact, by performing a prescribed list of movements while you are sitting at your desk, you can make yourself less vulnerable to the aches and pains that often come with sitting at work all day long. A mere five repetitions per side and each way at least every hour or as needed you can live a longer and healthier life. And while it may initially seem a little awkward to be doing neck rolls, arm twists and circles, leg marches and stretches, and full body stretches, all while sitting, chiropractors recommend these actions to so that your back is healthier and less sore. Add in some ankle twists and flat foot toe lifts and your body will not scream in pain when you finally get a chance to get up and move away from your desk.
Chiropractors do more than treat sports injuries, they also deal with non athletes who suffer from chronic back pain. From the injuries that occur to athletes to the every day stress we put on our bodies doing repetitive tasks at work to the chronic pain that many people suffer from, there are many ways that chiropractic services can be beneficial.
Spinal Disorder Treatments Often Include Specific Kinds of Rehabilitation Work
Research indicates that back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office. In fact, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections, back pain is often a condition that worldwide causes more than 1.5 billion people worldwide chronic pain. From spending too many days at the office sitting in a chair to extreme amounts of exercise or athletic activity, there are many times when people find themselves turning the smallest of back problems into serious conditions that can limit many kinds of activities.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the many kinds and causes of back pain that might lead a person to look for the latest rehabilitation options:
- As many as 50% of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms every year. Many times, without the right kind of rehabilitation, this back pain can lead to extended amounts of work time missed.
- Experts estimate that as much as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in their lives, making this a problem that requires different kinds of rehabilitation for many kinds of workers
- Approximately 31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given time.
- Among 313 people with chronic low back pain, a study published in Annals of Internal Medicine found that a weekly yoga class increased mobility more than standard medical care for this condition.
- Perhaps this contributes to the fact that there are about 36.7 million yoga participants in the U.S. alone.
- When compared to 25% of males, nearly a third of female adults suffer from back pain.
- 29% of U.S. adults with back problems believed stress was the cause of their pain, according to a 2017 Statista survey. According to that same survey, another 26% blamed weak muscles or a lack of exercise, and 26% blamed physical labor.
- Fortunately, the same survey of U.S. adults found that 81% of these people believed chiropractic care could help a “great deal” or “some” with neck pain or back pain.
Working with a local chiropractor may help you get the pain relief that you want. Following the advice of that chiropractor when you are going to spend long days sitting at a desk can also help you live a more pain free life. Chronic pain management is important if you are drain with neck pain, spinal disorders, herniated discs, or even stress-related back pain. And while it may sometimes be all too tempting to turn to the latest and most popular pain medications, it is important to realize that harnessing the autonomic arousal mind body connection through medication and yoga can sometimes lead to relief. Even the daily practice of exercising at your desk once an hour can help avoid many common problems.