More and more people are turning to acupuncture for a variety of medical conditions. The National Health Interview Survey released a report recently showing that at least 14 million Americans have tried acupuncture. Nearly 30 studies have shown it is effective at reducing pain by around 50%. It has been endorsed by the World Health Organization as being an effective treatment for at least two dozen medical problems. Acupuncture benefits can be felt by most people who try this.
There are many acupuncture benefits, here are a few:
- It can help back pain. Back pain is a common but debilitating problem that affects millions of Americans. As many as 80% of people in the United States suffer from chronic pain in their back on a regular basis. Some studies link back pain to problems at work and conflicts with direct supervisors. When people who suffer from back pain are treated twice a week for five weeks, they report getting relief from the pain that lasts up to six months. Other acupuncture benefits from this? No one has ever reported sleep walking during a treatment session, unlike after they take Ambien.
- They help migraine sufferers. When coupled with an electric current, this is called electroacupuncture, the number of monthly migraines is greatly reduced. People studied underwent 20 sessions within four weeks. This is a more natural way to relieve pain.
- They can help alleviate depression. Results from acupuncture treatment are similar to therapy sessions involving counseling. People who have acupuncture sessions on a regular basis report feeling better than they had before after three months of treatment. This could because of the release of positive neurotransmitters in the brain. These treatments are also great for stress which leads to lower blood pressure and decreased incidents of heart disease.
- It can treat insomnia. Tens of millions of Americans do not get the recommended seven hours of sleep a night. This leads to a host of problems. One of the best acupuncture benefits is that it helps people relax and fall asleep naturally. This indirectly helps prevent heart disease, diabetes and come kinds of cancers as all of these are more prevalent in people who suffer from chronic insomnia.
- It can help people lose weight. One of the more popular acupuncture benefits is weight loss. People treated with acupuncture lost about nine pounds in two weeks. They continued to lose weight over four months. Again, an indirect benefit is the reduction of other illnesses that are caused by obesity. Some think this may be more effective for weight loss than diet and exercise.
- It is great for acid reflux. Acupuncture treatment does a better job of treating acid reflux and heartburn than many antacids or proton pump inhibitors. It is said some of the acupuncture benefits are that it speeds the digestive process while reducing acid production. This is another way it helps with insomnia as stomach problems are common reasons people cannot sleep well.
- It helps with allergies. In 12 acupuncture sessions, people reported fewer symptoms and a less reliance on antihistamines in allergy sufferers.
- It helps women deal with menopause. When they receive regular treatments, some women notice a reduction of hot flashes intensity and frequency. The acupuncture benefits last for at least three months after treatment ends.
- Nausea can be treated with this. There are points on the body that when pressed or punctured will alleviate the feeling of being nauseated. This happens almost immediately.
Acupuncture is a 3,000 year old healing practice and a part of traditional Chinese medicine. The basic theory is that the body is made up of more than 2,000 energy points that connect with 20 meridians, or energy pathways. Sessions include putting small needed in these meridians to change or open the way energy is able to flow through the body. Medical problems are thought to be caused by blockages which are removed or corrected by the needles, which remain in place for between 15 and 30 minutes. For people who are afraid of needles, acupressure uses small beads that are taped to some of the same areas for the same conditions.
As more westerners are turning to acupuncture, more health insurance is covering it so check with your carrier to see if you can benefit from this.